Welcome to the web site of The Mashiko Tourist Association!
Mashiko’s main industry, pottery, attracts over two million visitors every year.
There are as many as 350 potteries and about 50 ceramic shops.
We are very pleased to introduce the fantastic works of various potters, who try to exert their individuality and uniqueness through their works, in this site.
Homeabout mashikotraditional culturecultural assetmashiko pottery
access maptourist pamphletvolunteer tour guide mashikopottery fair
文化財TOP

Cultural Assett

National cultural asset

西明寺三重塔
Three-story Pagoda of Saimyoji Temple
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/4469, Mashiko, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Saimyoji Temple
This Three-story pagoda was built in 1538 by Iemune Mashiko, who was the load of Takadate castle.
The building is about 3.1m in width and 17.9 m in height. It represents a fusion of Japanese and Chinese architecture: the first floor in Japanese style, the second floor in mixture and the third floor in Chinese style. The roof has wide eaves with a steep pitch and warpage. The spire is made in bronze and there curved the date of construction: “February Lucky Day, Temmon 7 (=1538)”. This is one of the oldest towers in eastern Japan.

西明寺楼門
Romon Gate of Saimyoji Temple
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/4469, Mashiko, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Saimyoji Temple
A Romon gate is a high gate with two floors surrounded by a balcony and topped by a roof. The gate here has polygonal columns and two rooms on both sides. There stands statues of Kongo and Nio in each front room. You can find many spiral patterns which is typical for architectural decoration in Muromachi period.
Please visit here in fall when leaves change colors. The view of sunset is famous, when you look at Romon Gate surrounded by beautiful leaves from the Main Building.

西明寺本堂内厨子
Double-door Zushi Cabinet in the Main Hall of Saimyoji Temple
(designated on June 21, 1962)
Location/4469, Mashiko, Mashiko Town,
Possessor/Saimyoji Temple
A Zushi is a kind of cabinet where Buddhist sutra or hidden statues are stored. At Saimyoji Temple, its revered statue, the Eleven-faced Kannon Bosatsu, is stored in this Double-door Zushi Cabinet. It has double rafters and the style of the roof is similar to that of the Three-story pagoda.
The spiral patterns at the eaves are similar to those of the Romon Gate.

地蔵院本堂
The Main Hall of Jizoin Temple
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/945-1, Kami Oba, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Jizoin Temple
The Utsunomiya family began to rule over southern Tochigi area including Mashiko in the early Kamakura period (around 1100s). When the third feudal lord, Tomotsuna Utsunomiya retired, he built Jizoin Temple as the family temple. The main building of Jizoin was donated by the shogun, Yoritomo Minamoto in Kamakura. The current temple is said to have rebuilt during Einen period (1504~1521).
There are two dates written on the wooden wall: one is “March 3, Meiroku 3 nen” (=1524), the other is “March 15, Taisho 3 nen” (=1575).

綱神社本殿
The Main Hall of Tsuna Shrine
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/2350, Kami Oba, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Tsuna Shrine
Tsuna Shrine was built by the third feudal lord, Tomotsuna Utsunomiya in 1194. The current temple is rebuilt during Taiei period (1521~1528). The name of Tsuna Shrine is named after Tomotsuna.

綱神社摂社大倉神社本殿
The Main Hall of Okura Shrine affiliated to Tsuna Shrine
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/2350, Kami Oba, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Tsuna Shrine
Okura Shrine is believed to date back to 807. The enshrined deity is Ookuninushi no Mikoto. Though the temple building is small, it represents the historic character of Muromachi period.

円通寺表門
The Front Gate of Entsuji Temple
(designated on August 29, 1950)
Location/1770, Osawa, Mashiko Town
Possessor/Entsuji Temple
Entsuji Temple was established by Priest Ryoei in 1402, and it was the headquarters of the Nagoe branch of Jodo sect in Buddhism.
Priest Ryoei opend a college called Osawa Bunko, which was one of the three biggest colleges in Japan and the only private school then.
The Front gate was built at the same time in 1402.
Entsuji Temple is famous for its beautiful colored leaves in fall.